Oily skin happens when the sebaceous glands in the skin make too much sebum. Sebum is the waxy, oily substance that protects and hydrates the skin. Sebum is vital for keeping the skin healthy. However, too much sebum can lead to oily skin, clogged pores, and acne. Managing oily skin requires a regular skin routine.
In this article, we talk about ways to help reduce oily skin without prescription-strength drugs.
Here’s some things you can do to help improve oily skin
1. Wash your face regularly Washing with warm water and a gentle soap can reduce the amount of oil on the skin. Washing regularly can reduce the amount of oil on the skin. When washing the following can help;
- Wash with a gentle soap and warm water.
- Avoid soaps with fragrances, added moisturizers, or harsh chemicals, which can irritate or dry out the skin, making it respond by creating more sebum.
- Avoid loofahs and rough washcloths, as added friction may stimulate the skin to make more oil.
If this is not effective, some medicated acne care products may help. These products contain acids that can tackle oily skin, such as:
- salicylic acid
- glycolic acid
- beta-hydroxy acid
- benzoyl peroxide
When starting a new product, it’s always wise to test it on a small area of skin first to make sure you do not have a skin reaction.
Choosing the right facial cleanser can help keep oil under control. For many people who simply have oily skin and not acne vulgaris, fragrance-free glycerin soap and hot water may do the trick.
A range of facial cleansers is available to purchase online
2. Use a toner Astringent toners that contain alcohol may out the skin. However, according to a 2014 study, natural astringents, such as witch hazel, can have skin soothing properties. Witch hazel has a high tannin content that makes it a natural astringent and anti-inflammatory. Not everyone will tolerate astringent toners and in some cases they may make the skin itch. In this case a specialist toner for oily skin will help. A range of toners is available to purchase online
3. Pat the face dry When drying the face after washing and using toner, people should gently pat their skin dry with a soft towel. Take care when doing this as pulling down on the skin with a towel, or a rough flannel may stimulate the skin to create more sebum.
4. Multi action pads There are pads available that are impregnated with skin loving acids such as salicylic acid or glycolic acid. These increase cell turnover which helps to prevent blocked pores. The percentage of active ingredients varies greatly in these pads. Those available from high street stores contain lower levels than those stocked by skin clinics. Multi Action Pads are available to purchase online
5. Use a clay mask Clay masks are beneficial for treating oily skin. These masks containing minerals like smectite or bentonite can absorb oils and reduce skin shininess and sebum levels without irritating the skin. Use them only occasionally to prevent the skin drying out, and apply a gentle moisturizer afterward. A good option is DCL Clay Mask which can be used up to 3 times per week.
6. Apply moisturisers Whilst it may seem counter-intuitive using the right moisturiser will benefit your skin and not increase the oil production. For people with very oily skin, an oil-free moisturizer could help keep the skin moist and protected, without it feeling greasy. Oil free moisturiser is available to purchase online
Oily skin that is linked to genetics can be difficult to prevent. Even oily skin caused by changes in hormones is difficult to control.
The best prevention for oily skin is for an individual to find a consistent skin care routine that works, and to stick to it.
When oily skin arises, it can be tempting to hide it with foundation or face powder. However, certain products, particularly oil-based products, may make things worse or clog the pores. Try a water-based makeup or let your skin breathe by wearing no makeup at all.
Many people also say their diet make their skin oiler. If this is the case for you stay hydrated, avoid greasy foods and trans fats, and eat a well-rounded diet full of whole foods.